Church of St James, Weddington
The Church of St. James, which was built during the Medieval period. It is situated 150m north west of Church Lane, Weddington.
1 Chancel, nave, N transept, S porch and W tower. N transept probably early C14. Chancel, nave and W tower rebuilt in red brick in 1733. The building was restored in 1881 when Gothic windows etc. were inserted. Font with early C12 bowl; monuments to the Adderley family of the late C16 onwards; C18 pulpit. A church at Weddington is mentioned in 1291.
2 Drawing of c1820.
3 1881 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. The style is that of 1300, handled without zest. The vestry is of stone and older.
4 Mainly red brick with Bath stone dressings of 1733. Further alterations and additions by Blomfield in 1881, including fenestration and tiled belfry over W tower.
5 Weddington Church is noted in Dugdale, Antiquities of Warwickshire. In 1967 the church was in normal use.
6 Eval north of the existing nave and west of the 14th century north transcept, revealed no traces of an earlier structure. No grave cuts were discerned.
7 Construction of a new fence was not seen to disturb any archaeology, the area was recently added to the churchyard.
8 Information from Alan Cook show that human bone along with some sandstone blocks were recovered from the work carried out at the church in 2000.