Church of St Denis, Little Compton
The Church of St Denis, originally built in the Medieval period, but largely rebuilt in the 19th century. The church is situated east of the Manor House, Little Compton.
1 Chancel with N vestry and organ-chamber, nave, S aisle, and SW tower and porch. 14th century tower. The remainder of the church was rebuilt in 1863-4, when it was lengthened and widened. The old nave showed traces of Norman work, with many later alterations; the chancel arch had Norman semi-columns; the chancel was apparently 14th century. The lowest stage of the tower originally served as a small chapel. Round and peculiarly dumpy font, probably 13th century. The manor and church apparently formed part of the endowment of the Saxon Priory of Deerhurst.
2 14th century(?) S tower with saddleback roof. The rest 1863-4 by E G Bruton, but with the use of some old materials, e.g. in the chancel S wall, where the windows are Early English.
3 Listed Building description.