Church of St Barnabas and St Nicholas, Burmington
The Church of St Barnabas and St Nicholas was built in the Imperial period, replacing a Medieval church on the same site. The bell turret was added in the 19th Century, during renovation. The church is situated north east of the Manor House, Burmington.
1 Chancel with N vestry, nave with S porch, and NW bell-turret. There is a fair amount of Medieval masonry in the church walls perhaps dating from as early as the 13th century, but the only ancient architectural detail surviving is part of the chancel arch of c1200. The church had fallen into decay and the nave was rebuilt in 1693; it formerly had a central tower, 4.9m square, but this was then abolished and the chancel reduced in size. A further very complete restoration was also carried out in the 19th century when all the windows, doorways, and roofs were renewed, the bell-turret added, and other work done. In 1311 Burmington was a chapel annexed to the church at Wolford.
2 Essentially Victorian, probably of 1849. The chancel arch has two big re-used late 12th century corbels. NW tower with pyramid roof.
4 Noted by Ordnance Survey.