Church of All Saints, Leamington Spa
The Parish Church of All Saints, replacing a Medieval building on the same site. This church was built in the Imperial period, with some alterations later in the 19th Century. The church is located roughly 175m south west of the Mill Bridge, Leamington Spa.
1 Apsidal chancel, N and S transepts with E aisles, clearstoried nave with N and S aisles, S porch, and W baptisteryand tower. Ashlar-faced, and built in a somewhat florid form of Gothic. Some 18th century mural tablets, preserved from the earlier church.
2 A church as out of the ordinary for scale as for style. Begun in 1843 by the then vicar Dr John Craig, and though he employed the local architect J C Jackson (and on the S transept T C Barry), he is said to have been largely his own architect. By the time he died (1877) there were the apsed chancel (opened 1845), the crossing (N transept opened 1849, S transept begun 1867), and four bays of the nave. In 1898-1902 two nave bays and a SW tower were added by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Church is 52.4m long and 24.4m high. Craig’s work is in Continental Gothic style, not correct in the details.
5 A brick barrel-vaulted burial chamber was recorded in the area of the graveyard of the church during observation of groundworks carried out in 2007. The stone base for another probable memorial was also recorded nearby. To the north of the nave the brick foundation of the 1860s churchyard wall was recorded together with the foundations of the wall to the small yard which replaced it in the 1890s.