The site of a road bridge over the Wellesbourne Brook which George Lucy had built in 1755 to divert traffic away from Charlecote Park House. It was built in the Classic design by David Hiorn and is situated 300m east of Charlecote House.
1 Late 17th or early 18th century bridge of one span over Wellesbourne Brook. End pieces surmounted by ball finials, parapet with ‘blind’ balustrading on outside formed of fluted pilasters. Condition thoroughly sound. Bridge has however been rod-tied since inauguration of bus service.
3 The Classical bridge which George Lucy had built in 1755 by David Hiorn, the Warwickshire architect.
4 SAM description.
5 On B4048 about 300m S of Charlecote Church. It has a carriage width of 18 feet and was built in 1754/55 to divert traffic away from Charlecote House. Engineer/builder David Hiorn of Warwick.
7 The bridge was constructed in 1755 to carry the road to Stratford, which was newly diverted away from Charlecote Park House. This diversion formed part of the early stages of the 18th century relandscaping of the park by George Lucy, though the bridge appears to have predated Capability Brown’s involvement at Charlecote.