C18 landscaped park and house at Newnham Paddox
The site of the landscaped park and house of Newnham Paddox which are of Post Medieval date. The formal gardens that were created during the Imperial period. Stables, farm building, ponds, walled kitchen gardens, pinetum, gates and a fountain remain. Recommended by Lovie for entry on Review Register and Grade.
1 Newnham Paddox house early 18th century with remodelling by Capability Brown 1754; and again by T H Wyatt in late 1870s, demolished 1952. Stables and farm buildings 18th century and 19th century to west remain, as do early 18th century wrought-iron screen and gates 150m south of site of house.
Vestiges of early 18th century avenues to S, W and N. Gardening activities in 1742-3.
Capability Brown called in for Lord Denbigh 1745-48 and 1753-54, to alter ‘ye great canal’ and create a ‘serpentine water’ from earlier fish ponds to N and E of house. Brown’s plan executed by c1780. Two ponds remain, extending N for 750m, thickly wooded.
Most of Brown’s lake, which ran from N to E of house, was suppressed in late 1870s when formal gardens were reintroduced – a terrace on the east front with steps down to a rectangular parterre with central fountain, a rectangular balustraded courtyard to the S, and restoration of the formal approach avenue to the S. These remain in outline. 19th century pinetum in NW woodland. Walled kitchen gardens N of pinetum and 200m NW of farm buildings. Park c100 ha.
2 Lovie reports those items mentioned above. Also icehouse