Burnells Broom Deserted Medieval Settlement, Bidford on Avon
The site of a deserted settlement dating from the Medieval/Post Medieval period. The earthworks of a trackway are visible. It is located 800m south west of Broom.
1 Dugdale states that the southernmost of the two hamlets of Broom was depopulated in the time of Elizabeth (1558-1603). The site has been inspected, and it is concluded that it surrounds Broom Court. This squares with the position on Beighton’s map, where it lies between Broom Court and the river.
2 No evidence of desertion.
3 A hollow way is visible at Burnells Broom. A T-junction in the track system may contain a small triangular green at the centre of Burnells Broom.
4 Medium archaeological potential (B), period of desertion known but documentary evidence inferior in quality (1).
5 Earthwork banks seen on aerial photographs located between Broom Court and the river Arrow, which may be associated with the deserted hamlet, were mapped as part of the English Heritage National Mapping Project.
6Lidar shows in some detail the earthworks of this monument.
7 Portable Antiquities Scheme find provenance information:
Date found: 2003-04-29T23:00:00Z
Date found (2): 2003-05-30T23:00:00Z
Methods of discovery: Metal detector