Baxterley Church whose origins are Medieval. It is situated 300m north east of Hipsley Farm.
1 Parish Church, dedication unknown. Chancel, N vestry, nave with enclosed W tower, N aisle and N porch. Chancel of c1200. Nave largely 14th century, the W walls altered in 16th century to carry the tower which is probably 17th century. The N aisle, porch and vestry are modern.
3 Drawing of c1820.
4 Nave of c1875 by Paull and Bikerdike. Crozier head, found in 1958. Of wood, c1200, with leaves and a dragon head, a rare survival.
5 Wooden crozier head found in jamb of chancel arch during restoration. It is gilded and decorated in black. It is part of a 12th century statue, found together with a bone of a young person, and sheep’s bones, presumably immured during erection of chancel arch.
6 Photographed in 1977.
7 12th century door reset in S wall. Wooden floors under nave pews – hollow underneath, depth c80cm. Brick channel around exterior. Sunken pathway through west of churchyard. Possible ridge and furrow in car park to SW. Probably good survival of below-floor deposits. Location (isolated) suggests that church lies within deserted settlement.