Avonbank gardens, Southern Lane, Stratford
Avon Bank Gardens which were created in the Imperial period. The gardens included an orangery, now a brass rubbing centre. Most of the remaining garden features were associated with the 1866 house, now demolished. The gardens are located in Southern Lane, Stratford.
1 Avon Bank gardens contain features of 18th century origin (notably the Grade II Listed orangery), but principally consist of the remains of mid 19th century villa gardens associated with a house rebuilt in 1866. Features include terraces, walks, mixed planting; planting of American oak on lawn recorded in 1867 by owner. Now a public park. Recommended for inclusion on Local List.
2 House and gardens shown on OS 1:10560 1886 Sht Warks 44NW.
3 The 18th century villa at Avonbank was bought by the Flowers family in 1860. The house was rebuilt 1866-7, but study of 19th century maps shows that changes to the grounds were more limited. Some areas under cultivation for fruit or vegetables in the 1850s had, however, become lawn by 1886. The house was demolished in the early 20th century, and the three arched boat house shown in many 19th century views of Holy Trinity Church has been lost. The Grade II Listed 18th century orangery survives and is currently in use as a brass rubbing centre; 19th century terrace walls and planting also survive. Includes photographs (p106-7).