Alveston Old Church
Alveston Old Church, the remains of the Medieval parish church, which was superseded by a church of 1839 on a different site. The church is located to the north west of Alveston Lodge.
1 Only the 18th century brick chancel was left standing. In it the Norman tympanum of the church. In 1899 two tympana were recorded. Monument to Nicholas Lane, d.1595.
2 The church is mentioned in 1240 as a chapelry of Hampton Lucy.
3 Photographs of the exterior from the south-west and of the monument of Nicholas Lane.
4 There may have been a church on the present site before the Norman Conquest. The present church consists of a chancel measuring 5.49 x 6.04m. The brickwork on all sides except the west wall is C18th. The church could probably have seated 190 people. In 1837 church regarded as unsuiltable and site for a new church was built. The nave of the church was pulled down to make it safe, and much of the ornamentation may have been destroyed. When the bell tower was removed, the bells were taken to be placed in the tower of the new building. Some of the plaques were removed too, but some remain in the chancel. In th 1940s a local couple applied to restore the church and were responsible for the modern brickwork on the west end. In 1967 the building was redecorated and repaired.
5 A note added to the foot of the page at the end of Alveston’s entry in Domesday Book records that before 1066 “Archbishop Aldred had full jurisdiction of this land, and market rights and church-tax ” indicating the presence of a market and ealy church.
6 Report on drilling through the floor in the 1980s in search of an Elizabethan vault, by members of the public.